Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Plants...Beginner Mistakes

A blog of my first planted tank I'm going low tech with 30 watts of lighting and natural sunlight in the evening(best I could find locally) and a powerhead.
Mistakes and all are in the blog, here is a few of them so far...
  1. Don't toss plants into the water, it puts them into shock and they melt
  2. Do set soil and sand FIRST, then add water slowly (made that mistake with my 5g)
  3. Don't buy plants (or fish) on impulse you normally end up regretting something

So now that that tidbit is over, here is my list of aquarium inhabitants short and sweet.
55g :
2 Ludwigia Aruacta
1 Ludwigia Natans
2 H. Corymbosa Siamensis
2 Micromeria Brownei
6 Dwarf Sag.
1 Kleiner Bar Sword

2 Dwarf Flame Gourami

The L. Aruacta- completely melted and I'm left with a few pieces of stem that survived, I'm floating them hoping that they'll grow.
L. Natans - These I floated and they quickly grew a few roots, I planted today and now I'm crossing my fingers.
Dwarf Sag. -This little plant is thriving, I already have some shoots popping up next to the mother plant, one has already grown into a whole other plant.
Kleiner Bar Sword -Arrived yellow but has already grown a new leaf and a stem is growing like a weed.
H. Corymbosa Siamensis- Arrived already rooting but I didn't have a large enough tank for it in the first week, so it went down hill quickly, I expect it to come back nicely though.
Micromeria Brownei -I have good hopes for it, neither in great condition nor bad it was also in a smaller tank-this is why you shouldn't buy plants on impulse.


I'm planning on pictures once I find my camera, I'd like to take my Gouramis back to my LFS as they're both males, my tank is plenty big, I just have no need for them.
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment